Grantham residents advised to check before travel near Ancaster following serious fire

Profile image for kay_kelly

By kay_kelly | Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 12:29

Residents in Grantham are being advised to check before they travel near Ancaster following a fire at Mid UK Recycling.

Lincolnshire County Council Highways and Lincolnshire Police have closed the A153 from Honington to Sleaford and the B6403 High Dyke.

A diversionary route, which is not signposted, is available via the A17, A15, A52 and A607.

The blaze is causing traffic disruption in the area due to a fire service hose crossing the road but this will be removed as early as possible and the roads reopened.

Motorists are advised more minor local routes are available for shorter journeys but to use these carefully and with common sense – larger vehicles and HGVs are not advised to use smaller roads.

Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue was called at 12.41am today to attend the fire at the recycling centre in Ermine Street, Ancaster.

Six fire engines, an hydraulic platform, a hose layer and a high volume pump attended the centre along with support crews and are working with the company to extinguish the blaze.

Fire crews are currently using water to extinguish the fire and later, when it is safe to do so, Mid UK Recycling will cover the remaining fire with soil.

The fire is burning around 550 tonnes of used carpet, causing a large amount of smoke.

The Health Protection Agency has advised residents at any property affected by the smoke to stay indoors and close their doors and windows as a precautionary measure.

Anyone experiencing breathing difficulties should call NHS Direct or their local GP.

A statement from Mid UK Recycling said: "Mid UK Recycling would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused and are doing everything they can to bring the incident to a rapid conclusion."

The company added that it is grateful for the prompt emergency response and that its emergency plan worked well and has allowed the site to continue to operate.

Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue believes that the cause of the fire is a mechanical fault in processing equipment.

It is expected that the blaze will be fully extinguished within 24 hours.

The incident will then be handed back to Mid UK Recycling and, over the next couple of weeks, some reprocessing activities will take place which may cause further smoke at times.

The Environment Agency has attended the incident.

A spokesman for South Kesteven District Council (SKDC) said Mid UK Recycling, LFR, the Environment Agency, SKDC, the Health Protection Agency and police are all working together to resolve the incident as early as possible and cause minimal disruption.

      

Comments

       
max 4000 characters
        
   

Latest Stories in Grantham

       
      

Local Vouchers

       
  • Gift Vouchers available!

    Fausto and Roberta's Unisex Salon

    Looking for a present but you have no idea what?
    Why not get a gift voucher and treat your loved ones to a relaxing hair service!

    Contact: 01522305546

    Valid until: Wednesday, September 03 2014

     
  • Free First Aid Kit With Any Course Booked Online

    Med Learn Training

    Claim a free mini first aid kit with any course booked on our website www.medlearntraining.co.uk

    Terms: One per booking, Not valid with any other offer, Booking must be made online

    Contact: 01522305558

    Valid until: Wednesday, December 31 2014

     
   

Search for...

       
        
Min price is bigger than Max price
        
Min price is bigger than Max price
        
Min rent is bigger than Max rent